Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IEBC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:27 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
Finished building the jaycar IEBC kit a few days ago, heres some pics of the finished product

will hook up to the stock sr solenoid and test it out soon, and will post up results, procrastination allowing.

anyone know what wire at the ecu on s13 sr20 is injector signal ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:24 pm 
TO4

Car: A boat..
Let us know how you go, built mine and tested - it makes the solenoid chatter etc. perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
id like to see results also! i can pick those kits up pretty cheaply wholesale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:56 pm 
Quad T66

ill try and hook it up to the solenoid tonight, i get home from work pretty late so if im not too tired i'll do that and post up some results and more pics of install etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:12 pm 
Quad T66

ALRIGHT, finally i have some more pics and results and a quick diagram for others that might need it this is what took the longest to make, surprisingly. its the t-piece you need to bleed off pressure stuck between the solenoid and wastegate, an essential part of the boost controller. i tried the suggested method of filling a metal t-piece (my car had a brass one on it) with solder, and then drilling a hole to make a restrictor. but it was hard getting solder to fill the hole properly and the liquid solder kept running down the tube, i gave up eventually deciding not to use it incase some solder came loose and went into the intake.. so instead the only other spare t-piece i had was this plastic one below. i filled one end with liquid nails, let it dry a little bit so it was a little hardened. then used a 1.5mm drill bit and just poked it in there and left it to harden a bit more. took the drill bit out the next day and it left a nice hole, but the liquid nails was still soft so i left it to dry. 4 days later it seemed completely dried and i put the drill bit back and twisted it around a bit to clean it up, and resulted in what you see below..

EDIT: one small thing to ammend, with the below diagram, where it says post-filter pre-turbo, it should really be, post-maf pre-turbo.

this picture is a small diagram for some help/info for others wanting to hook up this boost controller. left pic is the ecu showing which wire was used for injector signal (s13) for the boost controller. the orientation of the pic is such that when you take the kick panel off and if your staring at the loom its simply the top right cable coming off the loom. the right diagram is simply how the hoses are hooked up and how the t-piece fits into the hosing.

this is where the finished boost controller is residing at the moment, i dont usually put anything in the glovebox so i might just mount it in there. i will most probably take out the hand controller as well when im finished tuning it.

looking down the passenger side strut tower under the bonnet, you should be able to see the stock SR solenoid, which is shown in the below pic. it has 2 wires going to it which have red connectors on them, one is connected to accessory source which is the white wire on the solenoid, and the other black one which is ground, is hooked up to the output of the boost controller which acts as a ground switch.

and finally heres the map duty cycles im using at the moment to run .9bar boost, it holds VERY nicely indeed. i could reduce wastegate creep by ramping up to the max duty cycle quicker, or stop boost tapering off the top end with lower duty cycles in the higher load points, but im going to leave it as it is until the turbo is swapped.

Load point / duty cycle %
0-17----------------0
18------------------8
19-----------------12
20-----------------16
21-----------------20
22-----------------28
23-----------------36
24-----------------48
25-64-------------56

Last edited by mokompri on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:15 pm 

EDIT: looks like you fixed it :)

and thanks for the info!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 pm 
Quad T66

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:23 pm 

if anyone else is interested, i can get wholesale prices on kits from jaycar. probably so can others, but if i buy 5 at a time it might be a little cheaper.

are you also going to try the fuel controller? i believe it uses the same hand controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:08 pm 
Quad T66

nah im not going to get the fuel controller, purely because im not looking for a piggy back style ECU, going for daughterboard instead, and yes you can use the same hand controller for it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 pm 
TO4

Car: A boat..
Hey good work man! :D

I'm guessing this was done in probably 2nd gear flat throttle yeah man? Have you tried to see what the boost level is when you partial throttle or different gears man? Would be good to see how it works seeing how it doesn't have a closed-loop or feedback system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:24 pm 
Quad T66

hello,

yeah mostly second with some 3rd full throttle to see where boost settles on. it holds .9bar REALLY well, i mean the needle on the boost gauge doesnt even quiver.

it does however taper off very slightly in the top end, but thats because i havent reduced duty cycle up top, i'll get round to it :)

different gears all give pretty much same result. partial throttle i havent really taken notice of to be honest, i'll post up anything abnormal though if i do come across it

edit: in terms of feedback its sort of yes and no. it doesnt see boost pressure but it sees airflow from maf, indirectly from duty cycle. get me ?
the only time you would have an issue is if the jump between duty cycles is too great on the 'knee' of the boost curve, which would put it into a repeating cycle, as described in the manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 pm 

that taper off could also be your turbo running out of puff

but with your good info on it, i might buy it and piss the bleed valve off. i mainly want EBC for the ability to get boost on faster.

did you end up using your stock solanoid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:06 pm 
Quad T66

could be that, but its only set to .9bar max, i think it should be able to hold .9 till redline, i'll fiddle round with settings and see what i come up with

yeap stock solenoid is perfect and actually recommended by those who made this kit. it has a usable range of 8%-91% for the s13 ones, not sure of s14 and s15 they seem to be different, but im sure there operation will be just as good if not better

i highly recommend this zei !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:11 pm 

great thanks :)

ill order it tomorrow and it might arrive by friday, i can assemble it on the weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:16 pm 
Quad T66

ooops i didnt even realise the diagram pic wasnt working, which was probably the most important pic... its up now :)

EDIT: one small thing to ammend, is that where it says post-filter pre-turbo, it should really be, post-maf pre-turbo.

Last edited by mokompri on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.