Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:41 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Well im fuked. Been building and repairing my onevia for the last 7 months, getting rego next week, it looks like it may be in the for sale section soon.

Does this new law affect L-platers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:55 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

It's a tad rediculous IMHO, as has been said earlier - most of the crashes involving p-platers are not in "high-performance" cars, but ordinaary econoboxes. I can't count the number of times I've seen excels doing front-wheel burnouts in maccas carparks, and falcodores darting through traffic. Sure there are a lot of dickheads out there in silvias showing off to their mates, but there are a lot more in other cars doing the same thing. A young(er) guy from work just got his P's, bought himself a commodore and asked if I'd go for a drive with him. Those were some of the scariest minutes of my life. His car has an N/A V6, so these regulations wont concern him. It's all about attitude, like BT said.

It's a double edged sword - on one hand you can't restrict people to their mid 20's before getting their licences, becuase they will lack almost 10 years of driving experience that they would've ordinarily had, but you can't give kids their licences so early becuase SOME aren't mentally adept enough not to get themselves (and others) killed, or at least injured.

Let's look at the number of crashes, and the number of fatal crashes in a year and I am willing to bet anything that they will not have changed significantly for the better.

Last edited by cypher1024 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:10 pm 
TO4

Car: supra
im serving out a 6 month on my P1s. luckily for me i get it back on the 3rd of july so it shouldnt affect me right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
I dont know if it will effect L platers but sure as hell will once you get off your L's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:30 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 370z
In case anyone missed it..

The price of cheaper "performance" cars is about to drop quite significantly as one of the major purchasing demographics suddenly leave the market for a year or so. Hell, some people in this thread already mentioned they'd have to consider selling.

Also, note that under these laws you can drive a current ~180kw BA XR6, but you're not allowed to drive a ~185kw V8 falcon from the 90's.

Pure genius, was a power to weight restriction so damn hard to figure out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:32 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

From what I've read it doesn't affect L-platers, probably becuase of the number of V8 family cars out there. Young drivers are also a lot less inclined to try soemthing stupid when they have a parent in the passenger's seat...

still life wrote:
In case anyone missed it..

The price of cheaper "performance" cars is about to drop quite significantly as one of the major purchasing demographics suddenly leave the market for a year or so. Hell, some people in this thread already mentioned they'd have to consider selling.

Also, note that under these laws you can drive a current ~180kw BA XR6, but you're not allowed to drive a ~185kw V8 falcon from the 90's.

Pure genius, was a power to weight restriction so damn hard to figure out?

I was just thinking about that very possibility :D The only downer is that there will also be less demand for parts, so their prices might go up a bit if importers aren't getting as much in.

Last edited by cypher1024 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:41 pm 
T51

It would be interesting to see some real statistics on the percentage of accidents amongst performance car owners and their counter-part..

While it may be true that more accidents involve non-performance cars.. lets not forget that there are also overwhelmingly more non-performance cars out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:42 pm 
Quad T88

Apparently the stats for p-plater deaths over the last 20 years has remained the same. Most of its media. On the update for 10 news, it said, comin up, the p plater ban, and had a clip of some toyota drifting on a track, no p's on it or anything, i wasn't very inpressed with that.

I think they should start at the other end of the chain first. 65+ people are generally the worst drivers on the road. They start to loose their reflex's and what have you, and become dangerous. Driving slowly, all over the road, no indication, etc.

I have seen alot of recless driving from younger people latly. Even on the way home, some chick in her little barina, diving in and out of lanes, speeding, etc. And yet this was no,"high performance car."

I don't know where their going to draw the line. Any v6 commo can get going, basically manufactors dont make their cars to be slow. Is an s13 sr na going to be classed as a performance car? Same engine as an n14 ti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:43 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

License conditions can be found here:
Touch me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:44 pm 
T03 Hybrid

I don't think it will, most of the market for the good parts is further up the income scale than most new-drivers can manage. I'm guessing it's much more likely to drop the demand for second hand parts.

I reckon it will drop prices on cars in the short term, as the current crop have to wait another year or so, then things will be business as usual. I'm rather surprised that you'd be forced to sell a car you already own by a change in the regulations, especially given the 15 year rule restriction change was only going to apply to cars you didn't already have a financial interest in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:28 pm 
T25

Car: N/A
Anyone ever thought of modding a turbo diesel golf :P?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:32 pm 
T66

Car: none
still life wrote:
I'm rather surprised that you'd be forced to sell a car you already own by a change in the regulations, especially given the 15 year rule restriction change was only going to apply to cars you didn't already have a financial interest in.

Quote:
RTA WEBSITE
If such hardship or exceptional circumstances can be demonstrated, application for an exemption can be made at any motor registry upon payment of a $23 fee.

You cannot drive a prohibited vehicle unless you are exempted and owning a prohibited vehicle doesn’t make you exempt.
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:21 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Now that makes more sense :)

Should also stop anyone reading our forums from having to sell a car ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:31 am 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
screw the road minister poofter, bloody before it was only P1s that were banned and now its P2? f***** hell im so bloody f****n pissed what the f*** am i suppose to do with my car now? not drive it for f****n three years? and i dont want to sell it cause i just bought it.. had to let my rage out somewhere. Looks like im going to be driving turbo cars on Learners for the rest of my life then. i dont want to be a FOOL and sell my car and downgrade to a vtec of some sort. fk the government, and f*** that costa c@#t too.
ryan, i know how you feel mate. im so bloody ticked off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:00 am 
T66

Car: none
whyte wrote:
screw the road minister poofter, bloody before it was only P1s that were banned and now its P2? f***** hell im so bloody f****n pissed what the f*** am i suppose to do with my car now? not drive it for f****n three years? and i dont want to sell it cause i just bought it.. had to let my rage out somewhere. Looks like im going to be driving turbo cars on Learners for the rest of my life then. i dont want to be a FOOL and sell my car and downgrade to a vtec of some sort. fk the government, and f*** that costa c@#t too.
ryan, i know how you feel mate. im so bloody ticked off.

Relax whyte. If you go to the rta website it states that current P Platers are not affected unless they are disqualified for a serious driving offence after 11th of july.
So dont get caught doing anything stupid and you should be right

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next